Sunday 2 October 2011

Night on the town

I was at a leaving do after work on Friday so decided to have a look for some of the caches around Glasgow City centre which are too muggle infested to find during the day.

First off I headed back to Mitchell Library which is a cache I'd had a look for the day before and which was just around the corner from the pub I'd been in. Even a night this area is fairly busy but with some dutch courage from having had a wee drink and a gap in the muggles I found it this time. The log was absolutely soaking but I managed to sign and replace it without much difficulty.



The Cameron Memorial Fountain is only a few minutes away so I headed there next. There wasn't a soul around so after a quick look the cache was in hand. Unfortunately the log must have been wet at some point and has now completely disintegrated. It was totally unsignable.

Next I went to have a look for the King's Theatre II cache. This area was very busy but noone was paying any attention and by now it was pouring so everyone was running to get inside. I managed to have a really good thorough look for this cache but couldn't find it. There's a fairly clear clue that comes with this one so I know where the container should be hidden. I think it's missing.

A short walk up the hill is Blythswood Square and the Madeleine Smith cache. The clue and GPS coords have it in the corner of the square in the bushes behind a lump of tar. By now it was getting dark so I could hardly see the bushes nevermind any lumps of tar. This is an awkward position for a cache as you have to go rumaging in the bushes in full view of the street. I wasn't very comfortable doing so with people milling around so I gave up looking and moved on.


Heading toward Central Station for my train home took me past The Lane Under (L1) which is near the junction of West Campbell Street and St Vincents Lane. This was another DNF but not for the lack of searching. Will return in daylight at some point for another look as this is one of the few non-nanos in the city centre.


DNF number four in was Atrium Court on Waterloo Street. I think I know where this cache is hidden but due to a combination of it being really dark and there being a million muggles around I failed to find it (even using the shoelace trick!).


Walked right past Citizen Firefighter on my way to Glasgow Central, but I didn't even try to look for the cache. There were around 200 muggles at the cache location and another 400 milling around the station entrance and taxi ranks. No chance!!


Finally I tried for a snap of the Firefighter statue in order to complete the Citizen Firefighter challenge but didn't get a very good photo as the camera in my phone struggled to get a phone of both me and the statue at the same time! I'm going to mark it complete anyway!


2 out of 6

No comments:

Post a Comment