Thursday 24 May 2012

Homeward Bound

I'm still doing extra hours at work just now so still taking the tank up and down the M77. It's a very boring road so I've taken to using the A77 some nights and collecting a few caches along the way to brighten my day up. Over the past week I've bagged 9 finds and one DNF. Only a few of these stand out and are really worth a mention in any detail.

First of these was Davie's Pineapple which was located at the junction of the Old Mearns Road and the A77. This used to be a fairly dangerous junction as cars attempted to dart out onto the A77 and vice versa. Nowadays with the new M77 taking most of the traffic the A77 is a much quieter road and the GZ was a rather nice spot. Here can be found a monument to the writer Robert Pollock who was born nearby in Eaglesham. His most famous work was "The Course of Time". This statue to him was unveiled in 1900. The name of the cache refers to the decoration at the top of the monument with Davie being the late Grampa Sweeney Toddler.


Close to here was another cache worth a mention, Blue Lagoon Revival. This is located near Pilmuir Quarry. The quarry was opened in 1930 in the site of North Hillhead Farm. Remains of some farm buildings can be seen at the top of the hill at the south east corner of the quarry next to which is a stunning little copse in the small wood which was filled with bluebells. It was in this cache where I discovered the weirdest trackable so far. We've found a few odd things during our travels, but a trackable condom really takes the prize... so to speak...

Kingswell Cross was another interesting spot. This is further down the A77 and is the site of a cross erected in memory of Alice Mary Corbett and the First Baron Rowallan (Archibald Cameron Corbett). History aside, this is again a nice quiet spot despite being between the A77 and M77. With it's mossy, heathery carpet and pine trees you would be forgiven for mistaking this for somewhere much further north.

The final cache worth comment was Jougs. This wasn't particularly interesting but being in the centre of Kilmaurs at a busy junction it required maximum stealth to retrieve, log and return covertly. This is of even more significance to me as I have paused here many times before only to consider it too busy to attempt. I drive right past this spot every day, so finally I can do so knowing I've already logged it.

For completeness, the following is a list of all the caches I have attempted on my journeys home (I go a different route on the way to work) including my one DNF.

Floak - Found
Crossing the State Line - Found
By Gainford Wood - DNF
Eerie Alley - Found
Davies Pineapple - Found
Blue Lagoon Revival - Found
Star and Garter - Found
Mastercache 5: Still Standing - Found
Kingswell Cross - Found
Jougs - Found

There are of course still many more caches I can potentially go hunting for on my travels home from work so hopefully there will be more to report here soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment