Monday 29 August 2011

A rare day off work

Had a day to myself today as I get the English bank holidays and the rest of the family get the Scottish ones, so I decided to go for a walk and some cache collecting.

After a look at the map I headed down to St Quivox to look for the cache of the same name. Stopped outside the cemetery checked the GPS, hopped over a couple of gates and had the cache in 30 seconds flat.

Next I headed up the road to Auchincruive B743 but despite a thorough search in the obvious place (in and around) the cache was nowhere to be seen. This is a busy road so not the best place for a cache and there is also a bus stop just over the road with another just along from the GZ. I think the cache has been mugged.

Annoyed, I then drove up to Ayr we go ( again) 2 ! where there's a really nice monument dedicated to both William Wallace and Robert Burns. Not sure why they needed to share a memorial but it's a nice spot just next to the River Ayr. Found the cache after a bit of a hunt as the clue is a bit misleading.

I went on foot from here up a farm track towards Long wee hard Oswald. On the approach I thought it was going to be a trudge through a muddy coo field but I eventually found a forest path which led me down to a stunning view point over the River. Following the clue I sat down and had a look around, but saw nothing. Here the trees have actually grown around the metal fence and in some places the fence has been completely engulfed in the wood. I was about to give up when I spotted something and went to have a look... BINGO!

From the view point the path doubles back on itself down to the River side and I followed it until I reached the GPS coords for Wagon Way Bridge (Another Oswald). Spent ages looking for this one but wasn't really sure where to look as there was no phone signal and I'd forgotten to take printed copies of the cache details. Needless to say I never found it. I did spot some people over on the other side of the river acting very suspiciously (they probably thought the same about me). As there's another cache over there I suspect they were fellow Geocachers looking for The Whole Oswald.  

I eventually gave up looking and moved on around the river to The Dark Oswald a simple find and our first TB called Hedwig Traveller Travel Bug. Hedwig's mission is to visit each county of the UK so we'll have to help him on his way!



At this point I decided to call it a day as I was on School collection duty. I had a really nice day, this is a lovely walk so I'll definitely be back to find the rest of the Oswald caches in the area.

4 out of 6

No comments:

Post a Comment