Saturday 12 November 2011

Cunninghamhead

There are a few caches located near Cunninghamhead so I set out to find them all today.

The first of these is Scroaggy or Fairliecrevoch Mill Wood which is located in a small strip of woodland between a busy road between Irvine and Stewarton and the Annick Water. Parking for this was a bit difficult but I finally found a good spot down a small lane nearby. On approach to the wood, there was no sign of any paths or even an entrance way, however once I'd scrambled in I was utterly amazed to find a nice little woodland walk hidden in there. I had a walk around and despite having no GPS signal I soon spotted the cache.

On to The Poplar Copse next which was quite a tricky cache to reach and involved jumping over a burn, balancing over a fallen tree to cross another burn and falling down a steep slope on my bum. I don't think you're supposed to do the last bit but it got me down! Once at the GZ the cache took seconds to find but whilst I was signing the log I heard voices and a minute or two later a man and his son walked past at about 20 meters. They didn't even see me (and I wasn't hiding!). There's a huge Black Poplar tree here which is quite impressive to see.

My final cache of the day was to be Lost Track at Annick. I parked up at the spot recommended and headed down and along an old railway track towards the coords. Half way there an I came up to a viaduct over the Annick Water but I couldn't cross due to a 7ft high fence. Had a look around for another way to cross and even went all the way back to the van and down to the road bridge but couldn't see a good way to reach the cache coords.


2 out of 3

No comments:

Post a Comment