Monday 23 January 2012

University of Glasgow

What a great crisp January day it was today. The sun was shining and it was dry, so off I trotted in my lunch hour to have another look for the elusive Lord Kelvin Monument : Kelvingrove Park cache. This is located at an impressive statue remembering William Thomson who is better known as Lord Kelvin. He was a mathematical physicist and an engineer and in his time at the University of Glasgow made significant contributions to science. Most notable of these are his work on the mathematical analysis of electricity and thermodynamics (for which he wrote the first and second laws). Kelvin helped to define the discipline we know today as physics and even gave his name to the Kelvin temperature scale.

This is a cache I've looked for on several occasions and have resorted to extreme (but unsuccessful) measures in the past to find. Today I had a quick search an yet again couldn't locate the small nano container, however after taking a seat and having a think I went back to the GZ and had a look outside the area suggested by the clue given in the cache description. Sure enough there was the cache, at last. A quick initials and date were added to the log and the shoelace trick employed to return it back to the correct location and I was off towards my second cache of the day.

View from Glasgow University was just around the corner in front (or is that the back?) of the main University building. The University of Glasgow, which is more commonly called Glasgow Uni was founded in 1451 by a papal bull of Pope Nicholas V, at the suggestion of King James II. This was one of the major centres in the Scottish Enlightenment during the 18th century and became a pioneer in higher education from the 19th century onward. Since 1870 the main campus has been located on Gilmore Hill in the West End of the City next to the River Kelvin.


It's here that the cache is hidden, and it's in quite an awkward spot to reach without drawing too much attention. To give me an excuse for scrambling up to the GZ I got out my phone and started taking photos. This seemed to work and no one seemed to pay me any notice whatsoever. Thankfully when I got close I spotted the container right way.

I didn't have time to have a better look around this area as it had taken all my time to get this far from my work and I had just enough time to get back. I did have a lovely walk however and there are plenty more caches around that area so I'll be back soon.

2 out of 2

No comments:

Post a Comment