Sunday 18 December 2011

Down by the river

Today's target caches were both located in the Shewalton Sandpits Wildlife Reserve but on the way there I realised that I was passing another cache which I hadn't yet collected. Riverside is a quick cache and dash located at one of the many bridges over the River Irvine. The location is really nothing special, however, when I got there it was still really cold and everything was encrusted with frosty crystals. The sun was out too in a clear sky making for a beautiful scene. In particular there were a series of fence posts which were steaming as the frost was being melted as if they were smouldering after a fire.

The bridge itself is of a modern construction and looks fairly industrial underneath including the obligatory graffiti. One artist (if you can call them that) had even gone to the extreme of wading out into the middle of the river to sign the bridge supports with his tag. Hmmm, going to crazy extremes to reach somewhere, and a love of signing things... maybe they should take up Geocaching!! To either side of the modern bridge are large circular structure which I suspect are the bases for the piers of a previous bridge. If this is the case then it must have been a lot wider that the current one.

The cache itself was really simple to find using the coordinates and really didn't require me to go all the way down under the bridge. I short scramble up a steep bank and a rummage around some metal work and I spotted the wee blighter.

No comments:

Post a Comment