Wednesday 21 December 2011

Kelvinbridge

Another lunchtime walk today and this time I ventured down to Kelvinbridge to have a look for Kelvin walkway mural. The cache itself was really simple to find so I had time to have a look around. As the name of the cache suggests there is a mural painted here along a long stretch of wall. This depicts scenes of Glasgow and Scotland by graffiti artist Sam Bates. It's a nice piece of work and certainly brightens up the area.




This is near the present day Kelvinbridge Underground station and the site of the old Kelvinbridge railway station. The railway station was opened in 1896 but from the 1950's it was gradually taken out of service until finally being closed in 1964. The station was on the "Glasgow Central Railway" which ran from Maryhill through the City Centre and out to Newton near Cambuslang. The cache is located near the entrance to an old tunnel which ran from just below Kelvinbridge (on Gibson Street) to Stobcross Station (now Exhibition Centre Station) in Finnieston.


After a good look around I headed over to Kelvingrove park to have another look for Highland Light Infantry : Kelvingrove Park. I'd been to look for this one before without success but after contacting another cacher who'd found it fairly recently I thought I'd take another look. The park was fairly quiet compared to my last visit so I managed to have quite a good look at where I now know the cache should be but either I'm just not seeing it or it's gone walkabout.

Finally I took a wander over to have another look for Lord Kelvin Monument : Kelvingrove Park but again despite a thorough search I couldn't find the cache. Even the tried and tested "Fence Inspector" approach failed me this time.

On the way back I came across the Kelvingrove Bandstand. This was the first time I'd seen this, I didn't even know of its existence. This is a really interesting place and another little piece of Glasgows history and culture which has been allowed the fall into disrepair. Thankfully there is a movement which is attempting to gain support for a restoration project. Hopefully they'll succeed as this would be a wonderful little outdoor venue.

1 out of 3

No comments:

Post a Comment